Tuesday, October 4, 2011

wine tour in cape town!

On our third day in Cape Town, we went on a wine tour. Wine in South Africa is soooo cheap. I don't understand how it's so much cheaper than Napa wine. I mean, Napa wine has the Napa name, yes, but the process is the same in both places! I know, because I did 2 Napa tours before I left the Bay Area and now I did this tour! The wine is the same. Except here it's 4 dollars and in Napa it's 40. Boggles the mind. I did hear one lady saying that SA vineyards prefer to sell their wine abroad, because they make wayyyyy more money off of it that way. I believe it.


Our tour guide inspects the barrels. Both in Napa and in SA I had tour guides who have other jobs but do this on the side because they love it so much. Not a bad idea.


I just like the name BEYERSKLOOF. SA specializes in a type of wine called Pinotage, which is Pinot Noir crossed with Hermitage (I think). It's good but I think I still like Pinot on its own better.


OMG crazy random billy goat. Not sure what was happening here. This dude was just chilling outside of the wine place where we had paired cheeses! I forgot to take pics of the cheese though.

Vineyard grounds: pretty everywhere.

Fun bottle label at a place called Brit & Boer. The two dudes that own this winery went into business together and then discovered that their grandfathers fought each other in the Anglo-Boer war.

Jess and I won this bottle of wine because they gave us a test at the end of this tour, and we got the highest score! Which is sooo lolz, because we made up most of the answers and got some points for creativity as well. Just goes to show - you can't test better than a couple of medical students.


Ahhh, my delicious buys. The two on the right were drunk immediately in Durban. Which is probably good, because they made my baggage heavy, but I miss them already...nom. The rest survived all the way back to Tororo!

And that ended our three full days in Cape Town. Next up: DURBAN! DORIS! DURBAN + DORIS 4 lyfe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment