Saturday, October 1, 2011

the good and the weird

South African airways was a delight to fly on. Really. I'm so used to not getting meals on planes that I bought a breakfast in the Entebbe airport only to find out that I would get delicious eggs/sausage/yogurt/fruit FOR FREE on a flight. It boggles the American mind. And then lunch on the domestic flight from Joburg to Cape Town! And when we changed our flight from Sat to Sun, only a 50$ change fee!! Southwest is my fav American airline, but I may have a new international favorite. Though I only remember good things about Emirites.

Also, the roads here are...well, paved, and it certainly makes a difference. I don't think it's possible to be carsick and hang out in Uganda. It's also not possible to tell if there are drunk drivers, or which side of the road you're supposed to be driving on, because it's kosher to swing dramatically from side to side to miss potholes. But here roads are paved!!

but the WEIRD:
1) They cracked these cans of air spray and sprayed them all over the place before takeoff, and made the plane smell like a bathroom. I want to know what's in those cans. They said they were WHO approved, and I'm sure they are, but what exactly were they trying to kill? Me, from bathroom smell?

2) You can't use your phone, not even in airplane mode. NOT EVEN IN AIRPLANE MODE. I thought that's what airplane mode was for. I thought America had the strictest flight rules, but I may be wrong. Whatever, the dude I chatted with for 4+ hours totally turned on his phone mid-flight to show me pictures of the Congo.

Sidenote: A dude totally chatted with me for 4 hours. And I thought I was bad at small talk! Okay, maybe it was 3. And before you think he was hitting on me, he had a girlfriend which he mentioned in the conversation (after like 2 hours). But so nice! I feel like in the US we all just get on a plane and try really hard to ignore each other and that's usually best anyway. Anyway he calls a pick-up truck something that sounds like "buckeye" (but that's not right) and a bbq is a braai. And rugby is apparently interesting even if you can't throw the ball. I'd rather watch my college football that is going to start in 15 minutes, but I have to go to bed because we are going on a tour tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment