Friday, October 14, 2011

F-A-I-L

F - Forgetting. I forgot so much stuff in South Africa. How?? Not only the things I listed on facebook (shoes, jacket), but a shirt and some earrings as well. I could kick myself for being so dumb.

A - Assays (well, really, cultures) that I started earlier this week are probably totally kaput. They've been at a temperature range from 31 to 41, and that is NOT GOOD. They are also probably completely contaminated by now, since they've been moved around and we keep opening the incubator door. maybe A is just for ARGH. Also yesterday when we couldn't start any cultures? I would have had 4 samples! 4! A full plate! ARGH.

I - Incubator failure. xTWO. This is disastrous for the immunology lab, not just for my project but for all of the major projects. A technician is coming tomorrow...I'm crossing my fingers.

L- Library. IE, my Kindle bit the dust, completely at random. Maybe I'm overly reliant on technology, but this one really hurts. All my books are on there! Scientific articles! NEJM! I was 34% of the way through Les Mis! I know I can read on my computer, but the screen attracts bugs, hurts my eyes, and my battery life is crappy enough that not having constant power at the house for charging is a problem.

The not-so-FAIL:

1) We have a chicken named Edna. For eggs. Katie and I want to get a pregnant goat for milk so we can make goat cheese!! Here Katie is attempting to push the chicken off the sink with a large knife (not the sharp side):


2) Started running this week. Yay? We'll see how long it lasts.
3) Started watching Mad Men as a house this week. I was already at ep 9 so I'm anxious to get back to that point and start seeing new ones.
4) Have some good skype dates set up for tomorrow
5) Beth is going to be able to get my jacket and shirt from Alex in Mbarara on Monday!
6) I do enjoy having Feena and Hope around. Here, a cute picture of Feena with Jess' umbrella for your amusement.


No comments:

Post a Comment