Wednesday, October 21, 2009

maybe i should get a bike

because my Baltimore road rage increases with every day. An eighteen wheeler cut me off today on my way to school by RUNNING A RED LIGHT. Red lights stop no man, or car, or extremely large truck in this city. I could have died?

But bikes are so cold to ride about on in the winter, and I am no Tim Ford, all braving ice sheets of death. We all know that my favorite feature of my car is the seat warmer. Sorry, sunroof.

The fact that I am still typing about this over 12 hours later shows you - my blood pressure has only been on the rise since moving here. I must find some sort of outlet.

Today I went to a happy hour that reminded me of the Driskill's in Austin. No, it wasn't that good, but it was in a fancyish hotel and I could close my eyes and pretend that I have a job that ends at 5 and I have nothing to do when I get home. I do miss the fancy drinks, though. And the baked brie? I shall never get over it.

Sometimes I think I should have been some sort of career counselor. There are so many jobs that get me really, really excited. Not that I necessarily want to do them, but I think "oh my god! that is so cool. that has got to be somebody's dream job." and then I want to find that person and introduce them to the job. It would be like matchmaking, but instead of dates, jobs. God, I cannot escape my innate nerdiness.

(Today I found out one of my friends is training to be a genetic counselor and I nearly fell over myself in some sort of COOL THAT IS AWESOME fit. I need help)

QUESTION: Have I ever played matchmaker with real people? I do not think so.

6 comments:

  1. What place reminded you of The Driskill - I LOVE that hotel (to look at, not to stay at obviously, since I'm not rolling in cash)! Were you at the Hotel Monaco downtown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Baltimore is indeed a city without stop lights then I would skip the bike.

    On the other hand, they are coming out with heated bike saddles soon...

    http://cxmagazine.com/new-product-spotlight-sidis-new-saddle-line

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nakiya, the bar I was at was the Owl Bar in the Belvedere Hotel downtown. I guess the only reason it really reminded me of the Driskill is because it's the first fancy hotel-happy hour I've been to in Bmore, and the prices were comparable for the small plates and drinks. We had one terrible waiter and one great waitress, so I guess the staff is hit or miss. The food was pretty dang good - we actually had one of everything on their bar menu - but they didn't have a fancy drink menu, which was my favorite part of the Driskill's happy hours. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, I've never been to the Owl Bar but I've heard it's really fancy.
    I'm going to Austin in December (this is the 4th time this year....my sister is there!), what's your favorite restaurant???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love Moonshine. http://www.moonshinegrill.com/ They also have a fantastic Sunday brunch.

    For BBQ nothing beats the Salt Lick, but that's a little ways out of town. And for the best slightly-fancy taco stand ever (migas included), El Chilito's. Their agua fresca is delicious too.

    I'm so jealous that you've been visiting Austin! I miss it so much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, this Moonshine Grill looks ridiculously good -thank you for letting me know about it!

    I've never been to the Salt Lick restaurant, but when I went in September, I got some Salt lick tacos from the airport followed by a cup of Mexican Vanilla ice cream from Amy's. Talk about a yummy send off.

    ReplyDelete