Monday, September 7, 2009

labor day in PA

One of my classmates (Logan) invited the entire class to his parents' house in Pennsylvania for Labor Day. Only 5 of us came, so it's not as crazy as it sounds. Too bad for everyone else, though - it was a blast! And much more relaxing than worrying about the upcoming exam all weekend. I drove up with Craig and Birju. After a solid 3 hours of driving and listening to NPR podcasts, we made it.

The farmhouse from the pool area. You can see the barn in the background.

We immediately put on swimsuits and relaxed in the warm sun. Then Logan's mom put us to work gathering corn for dinner.

Craig and Birju working together.

My very own baby corn!! Awwww

We then had a corn shucking contest that I lost spectacularly. The first corn I shucked had a worm in it!! This was damaging to my competitive psyche. Le gross. Anyway we cut the parts with worms off and most didn't have worm damage. Apparently worms are what happens on an organic farm!

Dinner was the next adventure and I helped prepare the chicken by basting on some sort of delicious butter-vinegar special sauce.

Look at the end product! Yumz.
Post-dinner, I watched some college football, and to my absolute joy OU lost to BYU. I couldn't have been happier. I wish I were going to be in Dallas for the Red River Shootout to rub it in their faces before our game in the traditional trash-talking parade the night before. They've got absolutely nothing to brag about this year!

Then one of the Weygandts' family friends brought over a huge hollow log that he "found" somewhere. And he lit it on fire. It was amazing. I've never seen anything like it. The log was so thick that you could touch the outside and it was still cold.

Proof!


Amazing, no? It burned for hours and hours. Toward the end the boys got a little bit crazy. Logan's dad drilled into the log to make a jack-o-lantern smiley face and then everyone took turns chopping the log up, till it was no more.




And that pretty much ended our night. All the medical students were exhausted and passed out. All the other kids stayed up drinking and messing around. Haha. I slept on the couch downstairs and the next day I learned how to can food! We made our own salsa and canned it. But I'm saving that for the next post because I need to study. So! Stay tuned.

1 comment: