Monday, May 9, 2011

the nebulous pronoun

Ok, what the heck is up with doctors in the hospital who are unable to differentiate between the he/she. This happens constantly and it drives me INSANE. Because imagine if I'm the patient and all of my doctors are sitting around referring to "he" and "him." WTF GUYS I AM TOTALLY A GIRL.

I think that it's probably because they are taking care of a ton of patients - it's usually the residents in a supervisory role that do this, though it does trickle down to the interns sometimes. It's hard to remember names/sexes so you usually start a conversation off like oh, "Sarah Adams, the girl with the 4 heads" and then by the end everyone's calling Sarah a he.

It drives me crazy. I always make a point to correct the pronoun if I join the convo, but that probs doesn't make me the most loved med student. OH WELL

No comments:

Post a Comment