Wednesday, December 7, 2011

my amazing friends

Hi all,

My posts are usually quite silly and never seem to focus on what I came here to do (work, science, etc). So I thought I would mention that I've recently added the links to several blogs by my extremely awesome, smart, dedicated friends. Katie's blog (adventuresinuganda) might parallel mine a little bit, since she's my roommate! Mara is based in Kampala, and has some really amazing stories related to the clinical trial she helps run in Kiboga, Uganda. (Her job is sorta what I wanted to do with my year off...but plans change!) Her blog gives great descriptions of the challenges faced in public hospitals here.

Topher is in South Africa, Emily is in Botswana, and Laura is in Peru - all Doris Dukers (Doris 4 lyfe). Oh and Melike in Malawi. Another amazing blog.

Obviously what everyone's working on varies - in fact, it ranges from malaria (me) to HIV (Mara, Topher) to pneumonia (Emily) to obstetric fistula (Melike, globalsurgery) - but it's all global health and it's all super inspiring. And if you have a sec, please go to Melike's blog and donate!

There are several great things about taking a year off to do research, and one of them has been getting to meet all of these amazing people. The Fogarty program put us (not just these blogees, but so many people!) together for 2 weeks in Bethesda and I've rarely vibed with a group so automatically. Can't wait to work with them as colleagues when we all decide to go ahead and finish our formal training =).






No comments:

Post a Comment