Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tear gas in Tororo Town

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/1270708/-/bgvityz/-/

This morning we were walking to work (..at 11am, life is hard) and Katie's like "Do you guys hear gunshots?" And I say, well if they're gunshots, surely they're not shooting people. My reasoning was weak, but I just thought it was unlikely. And also that there would be a bigger hullaballoo if they were shooting people. But then not 2 minutes later about 20 bodas come racing down the road in the other direction, some carrying passengers but most not, and then a whole bunch more following very quickly after, honking and yelling. Katie started asking people on the side of the road what was going on and we heard various versions of the same story - that the police had somehow killed a boda driver and now all the bodas were protesting.

This is a boda boda. It's a dude driving a motorcycle and you sit on the back, so it's a motorcycle taxi! They are dangerous, for obvious reasons. Usually even the driver doesn't have a helmet. And if you could see the Tororo roads....

So we got to work safely and then for lunch didn't go far because we heard from others that the police were trying to subdue the riots in town by using tear gas and LIVE AMMUNITION. wtf. One of the doctors was trapped in town for like an hour just lying on the floor waiting to get to safety. So, even though we need eggs and toilet paper and I need more internet, we are just going to have to wait until tomorrow when things settle down.

Tororo is the quietest little town you can imagine, so this was a pretty crazy morning.

In other news, I have some really great blog posts coming up, particularly about water (or rather, our lack of it) and Halloween part 2, featuring pumpkin carving in the dark! However....I'm holding back for now because they would both be a lot better with pictures, and my camera is no longer connecting to my computer. I'm so bummed. I fixed one technology problem (kindle and ipod) and immediately my camera breaks. YARRRRR So I ordered a card reader to be sent to Katie's sister's in London, because she'll be there in 2 weeks for Thanksgiving. I might go ahead and do the posts without pictures but then add them in later. We'll see!

Things we have ordered to Katie's sister in London:
1) Seeds for our garden
2) Two bottles of Sriracha
3) Cheesecloth for our eventual goat cheese
4) 2 sets of resistance bands (for P90X) (lolz)
5) A headlamp for me, and camera reader for me. I am needy.

Look for new posts soon!!








No comments:

Post a Comment