Saturday, June 25, 2011

why i like my kindle

These are the books I have read for fun, in the backwards order I have read them, since I got my Kindle in December. There is absolutely no way I would have read all of these books if I'd had to go to a store to get them - it just wouldn't have happened. By far the best feature for me is the ability to get books at my fingertips, whenever I think of a new title I'd like to read. This is probably more than I've read for fun in the last 2 years of medical school combined (sad). So hooray! In that respect, the kindle is a huge success.

Look at the Birdie - Kurt Vonnegut
I'm a Stranger Here Myself - Bill Bryson
Nothing was the Same - Kay Redfield Jamison
To Love What Is: A Marriage Transformed - Alix Kates Shulman
Bossypants - Tina Fey
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson
The House of God - Samuel Shem
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan
Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void - Mary Roach

If you have any questions about any of these books or want a review, just ask. Maybe I will talk about a few in upcoming posts - some were better than others, but I'd recommend almost all of them. It's an eclectic mix, though. A lot more nonfiction than I used to read.

I also prefer the name "kindle" over the name "nook." However, as far as I can tell, the nook might actually be the better option in terms of lendability and formats that it supports. I haven't tried to read a nook in glaring sunlight, though - my kindle does remarkably well with that. At any rate, I understand why people say they couldn't give up their paperbacks - I have no intention of giving up those I already have. But for traveling and convenience, two things that are high on my priority list right now, the ebook is where it's at.

1 comment:

  1. My parents just got me a nook for my birthday! It does really well in sunlight, too. It'll be super convenient for our Iceland/France trip!

    ReplyDelete